After taking the jab, Doraiswami said, “The number of cases of infection in Omicron variant of Coronavirus is on the rise in India. That’s why it is better for the citizens of Bangladesh not to travel India except there is any emergency like medical or other emergencies.”
He, however, informed that land ports and Visa programmes will remain open.
The High Commissioner also mentioned that seven days’ quarantine will be in place from 11 January, for all travellers from abroad, including the citizens of India returning from anywhere.
There will be some restrictions in terms of quarantine that will be imposed from 11 January. But this is not for Bangladeshis only, rather for people from all the other countries including the citizens of India returning from other countries
“From our side, we want to keep everything open but within the limits of whatever the pandemic restrictions guidelines are in place. There will be some restrictions in terms of quarantine that will be imposed from 11 January. But this is not for Bangladeshis only, rather for people from all the other countries including the citizens of India returning from other countries,” Doraiswami clarified.
News agency UNB adds: Foreign minister AK Abdul Momen on Sunday said the government is not thinking about lockdowns at this moment but will follow the same procedures keeping passengers limited in all types of public transports.
“We’ll reduce the number of passengers everywhere that we did during the earlier period. We’ll follow the same procedures. We’re not thinking of lockdown. The good news is that the fatality rate in Omicron is very low. So, we’re not thinking of a lockdown,” he said.
The foreign minister said they will discourage travels between Bangladesh and India on health safety grounds.
“Even, there’re travels through borders, there should be more health safety measures. Hopefully, we’ll be able to protect our people,” Momen said.
The foreign minister made the remarks while talking to newspersons after the inauguration of booster dose of Covid-19 vaccine for the diplomats stationed in Dhaka.
Momen said he is very delighted that they could arrange this special vaccination programme for all the diplomats in Dhaka and their dependents. “Our programme is an ongoing one.”
He said the government has got a lot of competencies in terms of vaccination though initially it had “some difficulties” in terms of vaccines’ supply.
“We’re very thankful that so many countries came forward and have been donating vaccine doses under the COVAX facility,” said the foreign minister.
He also said they have plenty of vaccine supply and till today they have around 310 million vaccines lined up. “So, we’re okay. Hopefully, we’ll provide vaccines to every individual.”
The government has a plan to cover 80 per cent of people with Covid-19 vaccination including children of 12 years of age and students.
Talking about the booster vaccine doses, the foreign minister said, “I’m so glad we could manage it. It has been possible because of our partnership and cooperation.”
He said this particular pandemic is such a thing that it cannot be handled alone. “We’ve to manage this challenge through partnership and collaboration. I’m very thankful that so many countries came forward to help us.”
Momen said the government is trying its best but still has a long way to go as a new variant Omicron emerged.
“So far we’re okay but we must protect ourselves. I would request everyone to maintain health and safety measures as much as you can,” he added.