Pregnant women are at increased risk of being infected by coronavirus as their immunity is weak. They require extra care and proper nutrition. This should ensure immunity of the mother as well as proper growth of the foetus.
What should be on the menu
1. Fresh, colourful vegetables
2. Try to eat at least three types of vegetables and fibre-rich foods.
3. Try eating fruits every day with an emphasis on Vitamin-C enriched ones, e.g. lemon, orange, guava and so on.
4. Try eating whole grains including flour, red rice, oats, maize or popcorn.
5. Eat enough protein-rich food to ensure strong immunity of the mother and good growth of the foetus. Eat eggs, fish or chicken every day.
6. Seeds of pumpkin, jackfruit, beans, and pulses can provide plant-based proteins. They are also good source of minerals.
7. Calcium and Vitamin D-rich foods such as milk, cheese, peanuts, walnuts, cashews, and almonds can be included. They strengthen bones. Also, bask in the sun between 10:00am and 2:00pm for at least 15-20 minutes.
8. Take a cup of curd to increase healthy bacteria in the intestines.
Try to avoid foods that are processed with artificial colour or flavour. Also try do exercise, yoga and meditation for three or four days a week. These are crucial for lifting up one’s spirit and ensuring growth of the foetus.
*Ummay Salma Tamanna is a nutritionist at Ibn Sina Consultation Center. This piece has been rewritten in English by Nusrat Nowrin.