Labuschagne, the ninth Australian man to cross the 900-point mark in the ICC's Test batting rankings, is ahead of Root, with Australia's Steve Smith third, New Zealand captain Kane Williamson fourth and India's Rohit Sharma fifth in the latest standings published Wednesday.
In the Twenty20I batting rankings, England's Dawid Malan now shares top spot with Pakistan's Babar Azam.
Leading ICC Test batting rankings:
1. Marnus Labuschagne (Australia) – 912 points
2. Joe Root (England) – 897 points
3. Steve Smith (Australia) – 884 points
4. Kane Williamson (New Zealand) – 879 points
5. Rohit Sharma (India) – 797 points