default-image

At least two Bangladeshis among 27 people were killed in mass shootings at two mosques in New Zealand’s Christchurch on Friday.

Bangladesh high commissioner to Australia M Sufiur Rahman confirmed this to Prothom Alo after the shootings on Friday.

“We have been informed about the death of two Bangladeshis so far. Identities of the Bangladeshis could not be identified as yet,” he said.

Sufiur Rahman said the casualties were reported after a gunman opened fire on people attending Friday prayer.

The high commissioner also said many injured were taken to a local hospital.

However, New Zealand Herald said at least 30 were killed in the shootings.

“Gunmen have opened fire at mosques in Christchurch, with reports of up to 30 people killed,” New Zealand Herald added.

It added that four people -- three men and one woman -– have already been detained over the incidents.

Read More:

Advertisement