2 Bangladeshis killed in New Zealand mosque shooting

Diplomatic Correspondent . Dhaka | Update:

An image grab from TV New Zealand taken on 15 March 2019 shows a victim arriving at a hospital following the mosque shooting in Christchurch. Photo: AFPAt least two Bangladeshis among 27 people were killed in mass shootings at two mosques in New Zealand’s Christchurch on Friday.

Bangladesh high commissioner to Australia M Sufiur Rahman confirmed this to Prothom Alo after the shootings on Friday.

“We have been informed about the death of two Bangladeshis so far. Identities of the Bangladeshis could not be identified as yet,” he said.

Sufiur Rahman said the casualties were reported after a gunman opened fire on people attending Friday prayer.

The high commissioner also said many injured were taken to a local hospital.

However, New Zealand Herald said at least 30 were killed in the shootings.

“Gunmen have opened fire at mosques in Christchurch, with reports of up to 30 people killed,” New Zealand Herald added.

It added that four people -- three men and one woman -– have already been detained over the incidents.

Read More:

Reader's Comment

 

Commenting is closed

Want to be annomymous
I am commenting by following the terms & condition of Prothom Alo
   
Editor & publisher: Matiur Rahman.
Pragati Insurance Bhaban, 20-21, Karwan Bazar, Dhaka - 1215
Phone: 8180078-81, Fax: 9130496, E-mail: info@prothomalo.com
 
UP