State minister for power, energy and mineral resources Nasrul Hamid said on Tuesday that some 8 million consumers remained without electricity across the country due to the impact of cyclone Sitrang in Bangladesh, reports UNB.

“Of this, some 6 million are under the Bangladesh Rural Electrification Board (BREB) and the remaining consumers are of other organisations, including Northern Electricity Supply Company (NESCO) and West Zone Power Distribution Company (WZPDCO),” he told reporters at his ministry on Tuesday.

He noted that power supply to 70 per cent of the affected areas will be restored by Tuesday evening while the rest 30 per cent will get electricity by Wednesday afternoon.

Currently, the total power consumers are 48 million across the country.

Nasrul Hamid said the power supply was disrupted mainly by the falling of trees on the transmission and distribution lines.

He said that many electric poles were uprooted by the cyclone that caused blackout in many areas.

The state minister, however, said the total damage was not calculated yet.

“It will take some more time to get a complete picture of the damages”, he said.