A newlywed couple died after being electrocuted at their house in Keraniganj upazila of Dhaka early Thursday, reports UNB.

The couple — Ismail, 20, and his wife Kajal Akter, 18 — were residents of Atibazar Sumon Housing area under the upazila.

Mamunur Or-Rashid, officer-in-charge of Keraniganj Model Police Station, said the couple used to live in a rented house.

Kajal got electrocuted when she touched a switch with a wet hand around 12 am, he said.

Her husband Ismail was electrocuted when he tried to save his wife — leaving the duo critically injured, the OC said.

The couple was rushed to Dhaka Medical College Hospital where they succumbed to their injuries around 2 am, the police officer said.