Rifat's father demands Minni's arrest


Abdul Halim Sharif, father of slain Barguna youth Rifat Sharif, has demanded the police arrest his daughter-in-law Ayesha Siddiqa Minni.

Holding a press conference at Barguna Press Club, Rifat's father on Saturday evening said that Minni was involved in killing Rifat in broad daylight.

"Minni used to go to college alone. On the day of Rifat's murder, she phoned him to go to her college. And later he was hacked to death by Nayan Bond in front of the college," he told the press conference.

He added, "Minni hid her marriage with Nayan Bond, the main accused of the Rifat murder. Her family also lied about this. She married Rifat without parting away with Nayan. She kept a close contact with Nayan even after marrying Rifat."

Quoting Sahida Begum, Nayan's mother, Abdul Halim Sharif also alleged that Minni visited Nayan's home even before the day of killing Rifat.

Rifat's father also raised a question how Minni escaped stabs while Rifat was being hacked by a number of youths.


In a new video footage, Minni was seen reluctant when Rifat was being caught by the youths. When Rifat was strained with blood, she did not show any attempt to take him to a hospital. Rather she was seen looking for her sandals and one of the attackers was seen giving Minni her handbag.

Abdul Halim Sharif also questioned why Minni did not accompany Rifat when he was being taken to Barishal in an ambulance.

About Abdul Halim Sharif's allegations, Minni's father Mozammel Haque said to Prothom Alo, "Comments and posts are being updated on social networking sites accusing my daughter in Rifat's murder. At this, she is mentally broken-down and undergoing treatment. We'll soon talk over the allegations made by Rifat's father."

Rifat Sharif, 22, was hacked to death by a group of youths in broad daylight in Barguna district town on 26 June. The incident was caught on surveillance cameras.

Police so far arrested 13 people in connection with the murder. On 2 July, Nayan Bond, the main accused of the case, was killed in an alleged gunfight with police.

Seven other accused have reportedly confessed to their involvement with the murder.

Currently, investigators are interrogating six of the accused in custody.