Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation (BRTC) has decided to launch bus services on 23 new routes via the Padma Bridge to south and south-western districts from the capital city.
Major Moktaruzzaman, general manager of the BRTC, confirmed this to Prothom Alo on Tuesday, saying that they will extend the bus service to other routes as per demand.
Prime minister Sheikh Hasina will inaugurate the Padma Bridge on 25 June and it will open to traffic from the next day, 26 June.
The BRTC general manager said that they will operate air-conditioned (AC) buses on the new routes. The corporation also has a plan to operate non-AC coaches on the routes as per passenger demand.
“The buses will be operated on the 23 routes from different depots in Dhaka,” he said, adding that the Ashok Leyland buses imported from India in 2019 will be used in the service.
The routes are:
1. Dhaka (Gulistan) to Khulna, via Gopalganj and Fakirhat
2. Dhaka (Gulistan) to Benapole, via Bhanga, Gopalganj, Khulna, and Jashore
3. Dhaka (Gulistan) to Satkhira, via Gopalganj and Khulna
4. Dhaka (Gulistan) to Barishal, via Tekerhat, Mostafapur and Gournadi
5. Dhaka (Gulistan) to Shariatpur, via Jazira and Bhanga
6. Dhaka (Gulistan) to Jashore, via Bhanga, Bhatiapara, and Narail
7. Dhaka (Mirpur-12) to Gournadi, Fulbaria, Sayedabad, Bhanga, Tekerhat, and Mostafapur
8. Dhaka (Abdullahpur) to Madaripur, via Shibchar, Tekerhat, and Mostafapur
9. Dhaka (Abdullahpur) to Paisarhat, via Bhanga, Mostafapur, Gournadi, and Agailjhara
10. Narsingdi to Char Muguria, via Gulistan, Mawa, Shibchar, and Madaripur
11. Narsingdi to Kashiani, via Gulistan, Mawa, and Muksudpur
12. Dhaka to Shariatpur, via Jazira
13. Dhaka to Kuakata, via Bhanga, Barishal and Patuakhali
14. Dhaka to Khulna, via Bhanga, Gopalganj, Katakhali and Fakirhat
15. Dhaka to Jashore, via Bhanga, Bhatiapra, Kalnaghat, Lohagara and Narail
16. Dhaka to Pirojpur, via Bhanga, Muksudpur, Gopalganj, Tungipara, and Najirpur
17. Dhaka to Gosairhat, via Shariatpur, and Damudya bypass
18. Dhaka (Gulistan) to Mollahat, via Shariatpur and Premtali
19. Dhaka (Gulistan) to Barishal, via Jatrabari and Bhanga
20. Kuakata to Dhaka (Jatrabari), via Patuakhali, Barishal, and Bhanga
21. Bauphal to Dhaka (Jatrabari), via Barishal and Bhanga
22. Bhandaria to Dhaka (Jatrabari), via Bhanga and Barishal
23. Dhaka to Kuakata, via Bhanga, Barishal and Patuakhali