Prothom Alo journalist Samsuzzaman sent to jail

The court has sent Prothom Alo journalist Samsuzzaman to jail, rejecting his bail plea in a case filed under the Digital Security Act.
Sazid Hossain

The court has sent Prothom Alo journalist Samsuzzaman to jail, rejecting his bail plea in a case filed with Ramna police station under the Digital Security Act.

Prothom Alo editor Matiur Rahman is made the main accused in the case.

Samsuzzaman was produced before the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) court in Dhaka around 10:30 am on Thursday, 30 hours after he was picked up from his residence near Jahangirnagar University.

Additional chief metropolitan magistrate of CMM court Tofazzel Hossain passed the order on Thursday. Prasanta Karmakar, lawyer of Samsuzzaman, confirmed the matter to Prothom Alo.  

Two cases under the DSA were filed against him: one at Ramna police station and another with Tejgaon police. While Ramna police wanted him to be put in jail, his lawyer appealed for bail.

Following the hearing of both parties, the court sent him to jail, rejecting his bail plea.

The plaintiff of the case Abdul Maleq alias Moshiur Maleq introduced him as a lawyer of the High Court (HC).

A team of 15-16 plainclothesmen, who identified themselves as members of police’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) picked up the Prothom Alo staff correspondent at around 4:00 am on Wednesday.

One of the plainclothesmen searched Samsuzzaman’s room and seized his laptop, two mobile phones and portable hard disk. Later, the men took Samsuzzaman with them to an unknown place.

Earlier, a 'picture card' was prepared to post on Facebook, attaching the comment of day labourer Zakir Hossain on Sunday. But the card incorporated the photograph of a child, Sabuj, mistakenly. Later, Prothom Alo authorities withdrew the card as soon as they noticed the inconsistency.

In the report, it was clearly said that the comment was taken from Zakir Hossain, not from the child.

Prothom Alo's staff correspondent in Savar, Samsuzzaman, carried out the report for which he was picked up early on Wednesday from his residence.