In this context, the question is when did police quiz critically injured Sinha and how did he answer to those questions?

Besides, this information of quizzing bullet-hit Sinha was mentioned nowhere in the case filed with Teknaf police station, in the case application of deceased Sinha’s sister Shariya Sharmin Ferdous or police statement.

Still police, in the statement of the case with Ramu police station, has written that detained bullet-hit Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan, during a quizzing, informed police that the license of his firearm is in his room at Nilima Resort. Police detained Shipra Debnath and seized local and foreign alcohol and hashish from that room.

Sub-inspector Shafiqul Islam, in the statement of the case filed under narcotics control act with Ramu police station, has written Sinha Mohammad Rashed Khan tried to open fire aiming police with the pistol he was carrying when they detained Sinha and Shahedul Islam alias Sifat around 9:35pm on 31 July. At that time, police outpost in charge (Liaqat Ali) opened firing to save lives and properties. Sinha sustained critical bullet injuries then. Later, injured Sinha and his companion were detained and quizzed. Sinha, during the quizzing, informed police that the license of his firearm is in his rented room at Nilima Resort. Later, police conducted a raid at Nilima Resort around 12:30am and detained Shipra Debnath and seized local and foreign alcohol and hashish.

The statement of the case sub-inspector Nandadulal Rakshit filed with Teknaf police station said, "The person in the driver’s seat introduced himself as an army major. IC sir (Liaqat Ali) asked him to get out of the car and lift his hands above his head and asked details of his identity. After arguing for some time, the person claiming to be a major, got out of the car and drew out a pistol from his right hip and was ready to open fire."

The statement added that in charge Liaqat fired four shots at that time from his pistol in order to save himself and the others with him and took Sinha’s firearm in his custody. They took names and addresses from Sinha’s companion and took the bullet-hit person to Cox’s Bazar sadar hospital. Upon reaching the hospital, physicians declared him dead around 11:55pm.

Trying for character assassination

Members of Ramu police station went to Nilima Resort after the murder incident. Police has written sentences apparently in trying to assassinate character of Shipra Debnath in the case statement out of context. Even, the law enforcement added the defaming sentences in the plea the force submitted to the court to keep Shipra in jail until the investigation is over.

Ramu police station officer-in-charge Abul Khair said they want Shipra to be placed on remand. On the other hand, speaking to Prothom Alo, Shipra’s father Nabakumar Debnath alleged police had filed a fake case against her daughter.

Senior coordinator of Ain o Salish Kendra (ASK) Abu Ahmed Faizul Kabir told Prothom Alo that they would provide legal assistance to Shipra.

He mentioned that it was very difficult for them to get the papers related to the case.

* The report has been rewritten in English by Shameem Reza

Read more from Crime
Post Comment