17 stranded Bangladeshis return home from Tunisia

UNB . Dhaka | Update:

Seventeen Bangladeshis, among the 64 stranded for three weeks in the Mediterranean, returned home on Friday from Tunisia under special arrangements.

Shariful Hasan, programme head of BRAC Migration, confirmed that a flight of Qatar Airways carrying them landed at Dhaka airport at 5:15pm.

Bangladesh embassy officials in Libya said Tunisia allowed the 75 migrants, including 64 Bangladeshis, to disembark on condition that they will return home.

They were brought to a shelter house regulated jointly by Red Crescent and International Organization for Migration (IOM). Twenty Bangladeshis were given tickets in the first phase but three of them refused to return.

The officials said the embassy fears that other Bangladeshis might refuse to go back. It will be difficult to get assistance from Tunisia in such crisis later.

At least 65 migrants drowned last month as their boat capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the Tunisian coast after they had left Libya to reach Europe.

Reader's Comment

 

Commenting is closed

Want to be annomymous
I am commenting by following the terms & condition of Prothom Alo
   
Editor & publisher: Matiur Rahman.
Pragati Insurance Bhaban, 20-21, Karwan Bazar, Dhaka - 1215
Phone: 8180078-81, Fax: 9130496, E-mail: info@prothomalo.com
 
UP