Couple injured in fire in Chattogram

Gas cylinder blastFile photo

A couple sustained burn injuries in a fire that broke out at their house in the Patenga Steel Mill Bazar area of the port city on Wednesday, reports UNB.

The injured are Akter Hossain, 26, and his wife Salma Akter, 20.

Senior station officer of Agrabad Fire Service and Civil Defence, Enamul Haque, said a leakage in gas cylinder ignited the fire at around 8.00pm.

On information, few fire tenders rushed to the spot and rescued the couple from the blaze. Later the couple were taken to the Chattogram Medical College and Hospital, Enamul Haque added.

"Salma's condition is critical as she has sustained 80 per cent burns," said hospital sources.