The pilgrims who paid for the registration of Hajj this year can take back their money, said the religious affairs ministry on Tuesday.
Ministry secretary Nurul Islam confirmed the matter and said the registration money is safe, reports news agency UNB.
“Money will be refunded to those who want to take it back and if anyone wants to keep the money for next year’s Hajj, that is also possible," he said.
There will be no problem regarding refunding the money as the ministry is monitoring the issue, he added.
Saudi Arabia recently announced that no one from outside the country will be allowed to perform Hajj this year in a bid to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus, Nurul Islam said.
According to the religious affairs ministry, 63,594 Bangladeshis registered to go to Saudi Arabia to perform Hajj this year -- 3,457 under government and 61,594 under non-government management.
The Hajj registration process was completed on 30 April after the extension of the deadline for several times.
Earlier on 24 February, the cabinet approved the draft Hajj Package-2020, fixing the minimum cost for an intending pilgrim at Tk 315,000 under package-3 managed by the government.
In March, the Saudi government directed to suspend all Hajj activities.
The Hajj pilgrimage is expected to begin on 30 July (9th day of Dhu al-Hijjah) this year, depending on the sighting of the moon.