Blast from gas leak kills Narayanganj RMG worker

Sheikh Hasina National Institute of Burn and Plastic Surgery
File photo

A readymade garment (RMG) worker, who sustained burn injuries due to explosion from a gas leakage at home in Narayanganj’s Fatullah, has died.

Sukhi Akhter, 25, died at Sheikh Hasina national institute of burn and plastic surgery in Dhaka on Monday morning, said the institution’s residential physician SM Ayub Hossain.

Sukhi’s husband Al Amin, 30, whose body sustained 95 per cent burn injuries, Rafique Mia, 35, with 92 per cent burn, Aleya Begum, 60, and Jamal Hossain, 45, are taking treatment at the hospital.

The blast took place at a two-storey building in Fatullah’s Ramarbagh area at around 1:00pm on Sunday.

Md. Rasel, a cousin of Al Amin, said the couple would live at the ground floor of the building. They both work at RMG factory. The blast occurred while they turned the gas stove on to take lunch.

Rasel said it is suspected that the blast occurred due to leakage in the gas pipeline. Aleya Begum, Rafique and Jamal Hossain—who were at the adjacent room—also suffered burn injuries.

They were admitted to the hospital at around 2:30pm Sunday.