Newly-wed burned couple die at DMCH


After receiving severe burn injuries from a newly-installed high voltage electric wire on Monday in Fatullah, a newly wed garment workers couple succumbed to their injuries on Thursday morning at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH).

The deceased were identified as Mahabul Islam, 25, of Fulpur of Mymensingh and his wife Runia Akhter Khadiza, 20.

Aslam Hossain, officer-in-charge of Fatullah model police station, said Mahabul succumbed to his burn injuries at 4:00am while his wife Runia died at 6:00am at the burn unit of DMCH.

Mahabul’s maternal uncle Alim Uddin told UNB that Runia got electrocuted when she came in contact with a 33,000 voltage electric wire on the roof while Mahabul also was electrocuted while trying to save his wife.

Fatullah BSCIC Fire Service members rescued them and admitted them to DMCH.

Mahabul and Runia were living at a rented house in Shasongaon area in Falullah, he added.

Alim Uddin also said Mahabul and Runia got married two months ago.