A readymade garment worker, who received injuries during a clash between workers and police at Jorun area of Konabari in Gazipur, died at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) at around 12:00am on Saturday.

The worker was identified as Md Jalal Uddin, 40.

Earlier on Wednesday morning, another worker Anjuara Khatun, 30, was injured critically during a clash between workers and police at Konabari area of Gazipur. She died on the way to DMCH.

DMCH police outpost in-charge Md Bacchu Mia confirmed this to Prothom Alo.

He said the body has been kept at the morgue. The concerned police station has been informed.

Jalal Uddin, 40, was a sewing supervisor at Islam Group in the Jorun area.

He, son of Chan Mia, was from Kendua upazila in Netrakona. Jalal lived with his family in a rented house owned by Fazal Molla in the Jorun area.

Also Read

RMG workers return to streets demanding wage hike

Jalal's co-worker Shafiqul Islam said workers of three factories of Islam Group started demonstrations and vandalism demanding wage hike in the Jorun area of Konabari on Wednesday.

As police tried to control the workers, they hurled brick chips at the police. Police fired tear gas shells and rubber bullets to bring the situation under control and the workers were dispersed. At least ten workers were injured in the incident.

Shafiqul Islam said of the injured workers, two were admitted to the DMCH with critical condition.  Jalal Uddin was undergoing treatment at the hospital. He died on Saturday night.

Shafiqul Islam also said, "Jalal and I went to the factory for work on Wednesday. We were returning home as the factory was shut down due to the demonstration. On the way, bullets hit Jalal at various spots on his body. Later he was taken to the Dhaka Medical College Hospital."

Konabari police station officer-in-charge KM Ashraf Uddin said, "We have heard he has died, but it is yet to be confirmed. An officer at the police station has been sent to Dhaka. The details could be learnt after his return."

Talking to police, workers and locals, it is learnt RMG workers have been demonstrating at different spots in Gazipur demanding wage hike since 23 October.

Afterwards at a meeting between owners and workers' representatives on Tuesday, the government fixed Tk 12,500 as monthly wages. But the workers are not satisfied. As a result, the workers demonstrated at various places including Jorun, Konabari of Gazipur on Wednesday.

At one stage, the workers blocked various roads and set fire to tyres and tried to vandalise vehicles. The police fired tear gas, rubber bullets and sound grenades. The workers hurled brick chips at them. Police dispersed the workers and took control of the areas.